Looking for the best shock collar for small dogs? You’ve come to the right place.
A lot of pet owners come up with the question of how to best train their small dogs to ensure that they live within their best behaviors. A shock collar for small dogs ensures that pet owners are able to do this.
Of course, there is the issue about age and size. Small dogs can be both young and old. Either way, they are likely to use the same shock collars for their behavior modeling.
Shock collars for small dogs are a safe, humane and helpful way to eliminate your dog’s bad habits. Also known as e-collars, training shock collars for dogs work through the concept of aversion training.
Excess of everything is bad so avoid leaving the collar on the dog for more than 12 hours per day. When possible, reposition the collar on the dog’s neck every 1 to 2 hours.
Here is a brief account on top 6 Best Shock Collars for Small Dogs to help you in choosing one that is best for your little buddy.
And the one that we found to be best among all is Petrainer PET998DRU Dog Training Collar that has managed to lead the row with its amazing features and impressive functionality and has proven to be effective for most owners who have tried it. This Training Collar features 3 Training Modes that include audible tone, vibration and electric shock to use accordingly.
These variable stimulations can be used to correct bad behaviors in dogs including barking and in-obedience. It comes with a waterproof receiver and both receiver and transmitter are rechargeable. The transmitter can control the receiver from as far as 330 yards so that you can control your dog from wherever you are within the range. Also, the build-up of Collar Receiver is quite comfortable on dog’s skin. It also has soft silicone covers for contact points to protect your pet’s skin.
If you are in a hurry and could not get along through the article, here is a comparison table to let you review things in a matter of seconds.
Best Shock Collar for Small Dogs 2020
Take a look at the comparison chart below to quickly figure out the best shock collar for small dogs.
Last update on 2020-09-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Not all collars offer what they claim and it is a misfortune that many collars provide unsafe Shocks which deeply harm your dog and burn sometimes. Flittor has tried to overcome this and they have adopted microprocessor controlled technology which produces strong yet stable signals for better training but keeping your dog at the safe edge.
The features of Flittor Shock Collar are so amazingly convincing that it can be a first choice without a second thought. Amazing for a dog owner who has many dongs of different calibers that demand different settings of shock collar.
- There are many quality Features that make it a reliable unit. It offers a very unique training range measuring up to 833 yards (2500ft) for an amazing control over the distance. Along with amazing range another thing that you are going to love in Flittor Shock Collar is remote’s flashlight which enhances visibility in low lights.
- It offers all 3 training modes but with more effectiveness and safety. The vibration and shock can be customized at 1-100 for amazing control.
- This is professionally designed to correct aggression, liter training and barking etc.
- Unlike any other, It has three memory settings A, B, and AB. This means you can use this for 3 different dogs with three different settings .
- Fully water-resistant and Rechargeable device which take 2 to 3 hours to charge fully and has about 15 days of battery life.
The Petrainer Dog Shock Collar is a very popular training collar, which has proven to be effective for most owners who have tried it. It delivers three different types of stimulations including tone, vibration, and shock so that you can choose the level of stimulations according to the temperament of your dog and can assure training him in a better way.
Petrainer Dog Shock Collar is quite efficient for correcting dog’s bad behaviors like anger, barking and other. It is also equally efficient for training dogs in commercial setups. It offers quick and easy charging from your PC, Laptop, mobile or powerbank to enhance convenience.
Moreover, the split charger can charge both devices at a time so you don’t have to wait to charge both one after one. Also, the adjustable sizing of the collar makes it equally efficient for both small and big sized dogs without any issue. It definitely is a product worth spending.
- This Training Collar features 3 Training Modes that include audible tone, vibration and electric shock to use accordingly.
- These variable stimulations can be used to correct bad behaviors in dogs including barking and in-obedience. It comes with a waterproof receiver and both receiver and transmitter are rechargeable for more convenience of use
- The transmitter can control the receiver from as far as 330 yards so that you can control your dog from wherever you are within the range and can train him even outside the home.
- The Collar is adjustable for 6 to 25 inches in size and is compatible with all size dogs weighing 8lbs or larger and hence is a good option even for small dogs.
- The build-up of Collar Receiver is quite comfortable on dog’s skin. It also has soft silicone covers for contact points to protect your pet’s skin against hurt or discomfort.
The SportDOG 425 Remote Trainer is a high-efficient electric training collar for dog owners which is so far excellent even for large dogs.
Providing a very flexible training aid, the SportDOG 425 can deliver quick or continuous stimulation, and it can also produce vibrating or audible signals to help control your dog for a good and long training procedure by keeping in mind the needs and temperament of your dog for better and convenient training.
The SportDOG 425 Remote Trainer can withstand every weather and every condition with heat, cold, rain, snow, dust, mud, and wind, and so has become the most trusted brand in the tracking and training categories.
It is a well-made, durable and waterproof unit which will let you grow and train your dog with perfection and a positive attitude. It does not harm the neck of your pet if used with care and help training their behaviors for more positivity and goodness with care.
- This E-collar offers a wide 500 yard range and can fit dogs weighing up to 8 pounds or larger having a neck size between 5″ – 22″ inches. It offers 7 levels of static stimulation in low or medium ranges which you can control easily via remote transmitter’s dial and the buttons help you to deliver your choice of momentary (nick) or continuous stimulation. Custom controls become mark able with the option to train the dog with vibration (buzz) and tone (beep).
- Both remote transmitters and Collar boosts DryTek Technology which makes them waterproof and submersible to 25 feet range.
- The powerful Lithium-ion batteries make it reliable which takes 2 hours to charge and last for up to 50-70 hours and both feature a Low Battery Indicator and can be charged on the spot using the included split-end charger.
PetSafe Yard and Park Collar comes with a range up to 400 yards and teaches your dog new obedience commands and not to misbehave. The collar is light and has a comfortable fit on the neck of the dog.
Moreover, it offers wide range of static stimulations so that you can choose according to the need of the present situation in training and ensures you are just doing good.
Many sing praises of this PetSafe Yard and Park Collar. So if you are prepared to shell out a bit of money and try this out, this may be a small price to pay for having a well-behaved canine companion.
The amazing range, comfortable design, ergonomic fit, tone only modes, 8 static stimulations and weight variability collectively made it a good training partner for your dog. A decision, that you are not going to regret anyways.
- It offers a standard range of 400 yards so you can train your dog even when you are outside the home, in parks or yards or anywhere.
- The rechargeable unit allows for 8 levels of static correction to choose one best from and is suited for dogs 8 pounds and up in weight.
- It features a tone-only mode. In this mode, a beep is emitted to alert your dog while you’re training him without any discomfort and harm to him.
- Don’t fear the rain. The collar and the transmitter are both waterproof and can withstand any of the weather condition either heat, cold, rain, snow, dust, mud, and wind or whatever.
- The design is quite ergonomic and offers a comfortable fit for your dog.
This Bousnic Dog Collar has a simple design and easy to recognize buttons. Hence, even teenagers who have dogs can easily use this item. Also, it allows you to charge the remote and collar at the same time. It’s a great way to save time since you’ll waste a lot of time if you have no choice but to charge one at a time.
Bousnic Dog Collar offers two safe and effective dog training collars that are operated by a single remote. They are a perfect choice for homes with more than one dog. The collars feature safe and humane training modes. Overall, these are versatile collars for indoor and outdoor dog training.
- These Bousnic shock collar for dogs offer customized Static Shock ranging from 1-16 and Vibrations from 1 to 8 levels, as well as a standard Tone mode.
- Also, the adjustable nylon collar fits 8-26 inches in length.
- The remote for this dog training collar can approach up to 1000 feet, allowing you to train dogs in any place.
- It also features a dual channel to support training 2 dogs at a time.
- It’s safe, effective and durable. Coincidentally, it allows you to train two dogs at the same time.
- It is waterproof and can be used on rainy days. The batteries are also rechargeable and can last you 15-20 days with a simple 2-3 hours charge.
The GoodBoy Dog Barking Collar is a good collar and provides a sophisticated solution for your dog’s behavior. There is nothing really special about it that should do the work it is supposed to do but nothing more. All around, that’s fair enough.
In the ergonomic design of this GoodBoy Dog Barking Collar, the strap is responsible for holding the transmitter in place. Even a 10-pound pet can wear this collar comfortably without feeling weighed down.The strap is made up of soft durable nylon so it is good for a decent period of time. Also, the strap is washable and hence maintenance is easy.
- It comes with an adjustable collar length of 11 – 26″ that makes it best suitable for all dogs weighing over 10 lbs.
- It features a transmitter that is responsible for sensing the action, preparing and administering the corrections.
- The remote works up to a range of 1000 feet, making it perfect for all the activities, and can control up to two collars with a remote control.
- The only modes of corrections used by this collar are beeps and vibrations. As your dog continues to bark, the collar then progresses through the levels of correction.
- Powered by replaceable batteries, which are quite common so if the batteries run out, you can easily grab others from the store.
I hope these details would be beneficial for you and ultimately for your dog too!
Here are some questions that are generally asked about a shock collar. Let see what are the expert answers to these.
FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions
Can small dogs wear shock collars?
To answer the lingering question of a shock’s collar safety, yes it is safe. Always use the collar as a training tool to deter or disrupt bad behavior.
There are shock collars for small dogs even aged 8 to 10 weeks, which is the age group where puppies can start barking excessively. Use the collar specially marketed for this age group if you would like to start puppy training young.
Shock collars for small dogs are completely safe until you know how to use them.
There is a wide range available in market for small dogs both by age and by the breed.
You can always use a collar for a small dog but you should never tend to heavy stimulations initially as this can impact really bad on your dog’s behavior. Always use tone and vibrations to teach your dog and move to shock mode only when extremely needed.
Will a shock collar make my dog more aggressive?
According to Polsky’s study, dogs kept in shock containment systems like invisible fence or underground fences, can show extreme aggression towards humans, over and beyond their normal behavior.
Polsky’s results show that a big danger with electronic collars, especially automatic e-collars, is that they may cause dogs to make the wrong associations, and learn the wrong things.
Dogs may associate the pain from the shock with the environment or with objects in the environment (including humans, dogs, or cats), rather than with their escaping or barking behaviors. This may lead to anxiety or negative associations with those objects, which can ultimately result in aggression.
Although, it does not always happen. Mostly, the shocks help the dogs to learn their limits. It does not make them aggressive until you use them in a way they should have been used. You should never over-use the shock and should never use extreme shock stimulations to prevent the aggression in your dog.
Does shocking a dog hurt them?
Shock collars are designed by keeping in mind the safety of your little buddy because the purpose of a shock collar is to improve the behavior of your dog not hurting or frightening them.
These collars are designed with comfortable materials that does not rash or harm the neck of your pet.
Although there are certain things that you should keep in mind to avoid hurting your pup, remember it is all in your hands.
You should always use the collar when needed or training and it should be removed afterwards.
Make sure you do not leave the collar on the neck for more than 2 hours at a time, otherwise it can hurt the neck of the puppy.
The shock collars are mostly quite comfortable and lightweight hence are no burden on the neck, but still they should never be leave on so it does not hurt your dog.
The shock sites usually does not pinch the skin of the dog but still, they do cause little irritation on the skin site so cares should be taken and regular monitoring is necessary to avoid any kind of harm and discomfort to your dog.